- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 6 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups finely chopped nuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, water and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Place additional confectioners' sugar in another shallow bowl. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool 5 minutes. Dip tops of warm cookies in glaze and allow excess to drip off; dip in confectioners' sugar. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 10 dozen.
Reviews for Glazed Pfeffernuesse
Sort By :
"Family & co workers alike loved these cookies. Sure they took a bit of time to prep and make but it was well worth the effort. Loved the simple glaze and used it on other cookies."
"Perfect for making ahead for the holidays, these took a little bit of time to apply the glaze and powdered sugar, but were easy enough for kids to help make!"