Persimmons are a brightly colored, glossy orange red skinned fruit. It's an excellent source of vitamin A, a good source of vitamin C and rich in fiber. It stars in these dessert bars.
- 1 cup mashed ripe persimmon pulp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates or raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the persimmon, sugar, oil, egg and lemon juice. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices; add to sugar mixture. Stir in dates and nuts.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; spread over bars. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Glazed Persimmon Bars in Birds & Blooms October/November 1998, p55
Reviews for Glazed Persimmon Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2014
"This recipe came out very good. I used only 1/2 teaspoon salt as I was making this for my Father-in-law that needs to watch his sodium. I would make again. I used a mixture of raisins and dates. Yum"