Notes Cincinnati, Ohio field editor Ruth Stoops, "Orange, chocolate and chewy dates make a memorable combination."
- 1-1/4 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup milk
- In a saucepan, combine the dates, sugar, water and butter. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until dates are softened. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips.
- Beat eggs, milk and orange juice. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to date mixture alternately with orange juice mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in walnuts. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool. Combine confectioners' sugar, butter and orange peel; stir in milk until glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Glazed Orange Date Squares in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p67
Reviews for Glazed Orange Date Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review