Glazed Meatballs Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, horseradish and bread crumbs. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through; drain.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; add the meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
1 meatball: 141 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, trace fiber), 11g protein
Reviews for Glazed Meatballs
"These meatballs are really quite tasty! This is a recipe I had marked to try when it first appeared in the magazine, but somehow never got around to doing so until recently (probably because I kept forgetting to buy the horseradish--lol). I will admit to having had concerns about the amount of allspice---it seemed like a lot, so I started with half as much of it as I made the sauce, then kept adding until I was at the 1 1/2 teaspoons. I would recommend doing this, as personal tastes vary. I also recommend making these the day before you need them. I tasted one shortly after cooking them, and I had some doubt, so I refrigerated them and they were so much better the next evening. I think the flavors needed to mellow. I'm not sure how to accurately describe the glaze, as it is different---similar to a barbecue sauce, but without the acid "whang" of some BBQ sauces. I served this recipe with home made scalloped potatoes and steamed corn. I also added a little Mrs. Dash to the meatball mixture. Everyone in the family gave this a "thumbs up". I will make these again."