- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons aniseed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter and water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg, lemon juice, aniseed, lemon peel and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35-40 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Place in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over top of warm loaf, allowing glaze to drape down the sides. Cool. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Glazed Lemon-Anise Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p46
Reviews for Glazed Lemon-Anise Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review