Glazed Lebkuchen Recipe
Honey and spices give great flavor to these cake-like bars topped with a thin sugar glaze. They're especially popular around the holidays.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup chopped slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped citron
- 1/2 cup finely chopped candied lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot milk or water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Candied cherries and additional citron
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring honey to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Meanwhile in a large bowl, beat honey and sugars until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves and allspice; gradually add to honey mixture. Stir in the nuts, citron and lemon peel (mixture will be thick).
- 2. Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-28 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Spread over bars while warm. Immediately cut into bars. Decorate with cherries and citron. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 181 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC