- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup chopped slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped citron
- 1/2 cup finely chopped candied lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot milk or water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Candied cherries and additional citron
- In a small saucepan, bring honey to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Meanwhile in a large bowl, beat honey and sugars until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves and allspice; gradually add to honey mixture. Stir in the nuts, citron and lemon peel (mixture will be thick).
- Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-28 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Spread over bars while warm. Immediately cut into bars. Decorate with cherries and citron. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Glazed Lebkuchen
"I was expecting more of a "German" Lebkuchen, so was slightly disappointed, although it isn't bad. I did decorate with almonds instead of the citron/cherries, as that is more true to how it is decorated in Germany. Not a bad recipe, but needs a little more excitement."