Glazed Lamb Shanks Recipe
- 4 lamb shanks (about 20 ounces each)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh thyme, rosemary and parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Guinness (dark beer)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1. Cut slits into each lamb shank; insert garlic slices. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oil, thyme, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper. Add the lamb; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. In large skillet, brown shanks in remaining oil on all sides in batches. Place shanks in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 3. In the same skillet, combine the beer, honey, thyme, bay leaves, Dijon, garlic, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat and potatoes are tender, adding the potatoes during the last 2 hours of cooking.
- 4. Remove lamb and potatoes from slow cooker. Strain sauce and discard bay leaves. If desired, thicken sauce. Serve with lamb and potatoes. Yield: 4 servings.
1 lamb shank with 1 cup potatoes and 3/4 cup sauce: 822 calories, 39g fat (12g saturated fat), 198mg cholesterol, 1122mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 57g protein.
Reviews for Glazed Lamb Shanks
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.