Glazed Italian Spice Cookies Recipe
These cute little balls give you a soft, cake-like option for your Christmas cookie tray. The creamy almond glaze spread on top makes them extra yummy.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and milk. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans.
- 2. Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For glaze, in a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and extracts; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 90 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC