VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed dried fruit
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cream and vanilla until blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts and dried fruit (mixture will be crumbly). Press mixture together to form a ball.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into an 8-in.-long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Gradually stir in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach drizzling consistency. Remove from heat; drizzle over cooled cookies.
Freeze option: Place wrapped logs in a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, unwrap frozen logs and cut into slices. If necessary, let dough stand 15 minutes at room temperature before cutting. Bake as directed. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Glazed Italian Fruitcake Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2016