- flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in the currants, candied peel and
- enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18
- pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking
- sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile,
- for glaze, combine sugar and water in small saucepan. Cook and stir
- over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Place wire racks over
- waxed paper; place buns on racks. Brush with warm glaze; cool.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and water in a small bowl.
- Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a
- corner of bag. Pipe a cross on top of each bun. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bun equals 187 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.