I've been known to make hot cross buns throughout the year, not just at Easter. My husband loves them toasted and topped with butter!—Trudy Williams, Shannonville, Ontario
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed candied peel
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, egg, egg yolk and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in the currants, candied peel and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugar and water in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Place wire racks over waxed paper; place buns on racks. Brush with warm glaze; cool.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and water in a small bowl. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe a cross on top of each bun. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Hot Cross Buns in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p143
Reviews for Glazed Hot Cross Buns
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review