Glazed Gingerbread Cake Recipe
This is a favorite dessert during the holidays and at special occasions. I’ve tried creating a glaze of some sort to drizzle over this moist, flavorful cake, but have found that it’s delicious as is. A tall glass of cold milk is the only addition I’d suggest.—Edith Ekstedt, Paso Robles, California
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup each strong brewed coffee and orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, mace and nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. Place raisins in a small bowl; add boiling water to cover and let stand 5 minutes. Drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk molasses, brown sugar, oil, coffee, orange juice and water until blended. In a small bowl, beat eggs on high speed 3-4 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. In another bowl, whisk remaining cake ingredients. Add to molasses mixture alternately with eggs, mixing just until combined. Fold in raisins.
- 3. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Pour over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC