Glazed Fig & Almond Tart Recipe
Even people who say they normally don’t care for figs would enjoy this. The glazed fruit covers a smooth, luxurious filling of honey-sweetened cream cheese accented with lemon.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min.+ cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- GLAZED FIGS:
- 1 pound dried figs (preferably Mission figs), stemmed and halved
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- Cnfectioners' sugar
- 1. Place almonds in a food processor; cover and pulse until ground. Add flour; pulse to combine. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg yolks. Gradually add flour mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients for glazed figs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until figs are tender. Uncover; cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until figs are glazed and 3 tablespoons liquid remains. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- 4. For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, honey and lemon peel until smooth; spread over crust. Arrange figs over filling; drizzle with remaining liquid. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds and confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC