Glazed Crescent Rolls
"Squash is the 'secret ingredient' in these lovely golden rolls," confides Carole Burke of Waucoma, Iowa. "They have a light delicate flavor and a tangy glaze."
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup mashed cooked acorn squash
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons tangerine or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated tangerine or orange peel
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Melt 3
- tablespoons butter. Add melted butter, squash, egg, sugar, salt,
- remaining water and 3 cups flour to yeast mixture; beat until
- smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Roll into a 17-in.
- circle; spread with remaining butter. Cut into 16 wedges. Roll up