Glazed Cornish Hens with Pecan-Rice Stuffing Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- CORNISH GAME HENS:
- 8 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a large saucepan, saute the rice, cumin and curry in butter over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in the pecans, onions and raisins.
- Loosely stuff hens with stuffing. Tuck wings under hens; tie drumsticks together. Rub skin with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Meanwhile, place apple juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Stir in honey and mustard. Set aside 1/2 cup for serving.
- Brush hens with remaining glaze. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if hens brown too quickly. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Glazed Cornish Hens with Pecan-Rice Stuffing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p29
Reviews for Glazed Cornish Hens with Pecan-Rice Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review