Cornish hens bake up with a lovely golden brown shine when they are basted with my sweet and tangy glaze. The traditional rice stuffing has some added interest with crunchy pecans and sweet golden raisins.—Agnes Ward, Stratford, Ontario
Featured In: 16 Impressive Christmas Dinner Ideas
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- CORNISH GAME HENS:
- 8 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a large saucepan, saute the rice, cumin and curry in butter over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in the pecans, onions and raisins.
- Loosely stuff hens with stuffing. Tuck wings under hens; tie drumsticks together. Rub skin with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Meanwhile, place apple juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Stir in honey and mustard. Set aside 1/2 cup for serving.
- Brush hens with remaining glaze. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if hens brown too quickly. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Glazed Cornish Hens with Pecan-Rice Stuffing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p29
Reviews for Glazed Cornish Hens with Pecan-Rice Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review