Glazed Cornish Hen with Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup white wine or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Dash curry powder
- 1/4 cup peach preserves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- 1. Cook the long grain and wild rice according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the apple, white wine or apple juice, almonds, salt, poultry seasoning, curry powder and rice; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the preserves, mustard, horseradish and tarragon. Cook and stir over medium heat until preserves are melted.
- 3. Carefully loosen skin around hen breast, thighs and drumsticks. Set aside 1/4 cup glaze; spoon remaining glaze under skin.
- 4. Place the rice mixture in two mounds in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; arrange hen halves skin side up over rice.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-55 minutes or until meat juices run clear. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove and discard skin before serving. Warm reserved glaze; brush over hen halves. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving (half of hen, skin removed, with 1 cup rice mixture) equals 491 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 590 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Reviews for Glazed Cornish Hen with Rice Pilaf
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.