Glazed Cornish Hen with Rice Pilaf Recipe
This easy but elegant entree makes a lovely centerpiece for a romantic Valentine's Day dinner. The peach-mustard glaze adds a sweet tang to the moist, tender poultry, which is perched on a mound of mildly seasoned pilaf. It's bound to draw praise from your sweetheart!
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup white wine or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons Diamond of California Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Dash curry powder
- 1/4 cup peach preserves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- Cook the long grain and wild rice according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the apple, white wine or apple juice, almonds, salt, poultry seasoning, curry powder and rice; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the preserves, mustard, horseradish and tarragon. Cook and stir over medium heat until preserves are melted.
- Carefully loosen skin around hen breast, thighs and drumsticks. Set aside 1/4 cup glaze; spoon remaining glaze under skin.
- Place the rice mixture in two mounds in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; arrange hen halves skin side up over rice.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-55 minutes or until meat juices run clear. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove and discard skin before serving. Warm reserved glaze; brush over hen halves. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Glazed Cornish Hen with Rice Pilaf in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p17
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Glazed Cornish Hen with Rice Pilaf(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Apple Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Rice Side Dish Recipes >
- Rice Side Dishes >