Glazed Corned Beef
I serve this delicious entree each St. Patrick's Day, even though my family is Dutch, not Irish. The meat is so tender and tasty topped with a simple tangy glaze. Leftovers make excellent Reuben sandwiches.
-Perlene Hoekema, Lynden, Washington
12 ServingsPrep: 3 hours Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Place corned beef and contents of seasoning packet in a Dutch oven;
- cover with water. Add onion and celery; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Drain and discard liquid and vegetables. Place beef on a greased rack
- in a shallow roasting pan; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the
- remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Brush
- over beef.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes
- before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.