- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup red-hot candies
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, eggs, sugar, shortening, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the pecans, red-hots, sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. On a greased baking sheet, roll out one portion into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Spread 1 tablespoon butter down the center; sprinkle with half of the pecan mixture.
- On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough, butter and pecan mixture. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over loaves. Serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Glazed Cinnamon Braids
"I thoutght the recipe sounded interesting, but it was just so so. Not really much taste. Some of the candies stayed hard, and there was too much bread for the filling."
"this is almost the same recipe my italian grandmother made for years.. and dont knock it till u try it the cinn redhots make it!!!"
"I'm going to try this recipe but a 1/2 cup of red hots sounds kind of scarey. I would like to hear from people that tried that & how it tasted. Has anyone tried M&M baking bits????"
"I agree...how can you rate a recipe if you didn't try it?!!!"
"I really wish people would try recipes before commenting in a negative way about them. We always tell our kids to try new things before judging them, and we should too. I think it sounds fun and different and I plan on trying it this weekend."