Glazed Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
This chocolaty creation from Mary Relyea of Canastota, New York brings the look and taste of pure indulgence, but leaves the fat and calories at the door. A drizzling of rich chocolate glaze lends an elegant touch and will keep guests wanting more. With only 3 g of fat per slice, this is one treat you'll want to see year after year!
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour, 1 cup sugar and cocoa twice.
- 3. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 4. Gently transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack 40-50 minutes or until top crust is golden brown and top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and cream; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 235 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Glazed Chocolate Angel Food Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC