Glazed Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10 large)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour, 1 cup sugar and cocoa together twice.
- 3. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 4. Gently transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 40-50 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips with cream; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 235 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Glazed Chocolate Angel Food Cake
"my daughter saysthis cake tastes like chocolate fluff. very good"
"Went together easier than I expected and was a hit with everyone. I will probably cut down the sugar a little bit next time though; it bordered on too sweet for me."
"So glad to find something that is low in fat and chocolate that tastes so good! I had to add more half and half to the glaze. It was way too thick to drizzle without it. Otherwise, perfect!"
"I really wanted to know if I could just add the cocoa to an angel food cake mix?"