Glazed Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
This chocolaty creation from Mary Relyea of Canastota, New York brings the look and taste of pure indulgence, but leaves the fat and calories at the door. A drizzling of rich chocolate glaze lends an elegant touch and will keep guests wanting more. With only 3 g of fat per slice, this is one treat you'll want to see year after year!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together the flour, 1 cup sugar and cocoa twice; set aside.
- 2. Add the cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and cream. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 235 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC