Glazed Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together the flour, 1 cup sugar and cocoa twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and cream. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Glazed Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Sort By :
"my daughter saysthis cake tastes like chocolate fluff. very good"
"Went together easier than I expected and was a hit with everyone. I will probably cut down the sugar a little bit next time though; it bordered on too sweet for me."
"So glad to find something that is low in fat and chocolate that tastes so good! I had to add more half and half to the glaze. It was way too thick to drizzle without it. Otherwise, perfect!"
"I really wanted to know if I could just add the cocoa to an angel food cake mix?"
"This is an awesome cake. You can enjoy your chocolate fix while staying on the light side. The glaze really sets the whole cake off. One word of warning though, there are a lot of steps to follow to have this cake turn out right. Only patient cooks should attempt."