Glazed Carrots with Rosemary
Caramelizing carrots results in a sweet and buttery side dish that even folks not fond of vegetables will favor. Fresh rosemary adds the finishing touch.Helen Faddis, Gloucester, Massachusetts
13 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 pounds medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the carrots, broth, wine and salt. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Drain and discard liquid.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until
- glazed and heated through. Yield: 13 servings (1/2 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 137 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.