When I pull fresh carrots from the garden, my mouth waters just thinking about how this simple recipe enhances their flavor with brown sugar and a hint of lemon. —Pat Habiger, Spearville, Kansas
- 12 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, cook carrots in a small amount of water until crisp-tender; drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, heat brown sugar and butter until bubbly. Stir in lemon peel. Return carrots to pan; cook and stir over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until glazed. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Glazed Carrot Coins in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p31
Reviews for Glazed Carrot Coins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2013
"I've actually used this recipe way back, but I've turned to it again! I did add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt to taste & to spice up this side dish,I added 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon! I substituted orange peel for the lemon peel and that gave it a delicious citrus flavor!I'd omitted the brown sugar & vanilla extract for my own recipe adaptation!It IS true that the brown sugar glazedoes give flavor! Now that I think of it,I used orange juice instead of brown sugar to glaze these carrots. Thank you, Pat Habiger, for sharing this recipe!Dawn E. Lowenstein"