Glazed Butter Cookies Recipe
These cookies are not just for Christmas. I bake them all year, changing cookie cutters for various occasions.—Dorothy Jennings, Waterloo, Iowa
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Red, green and yellow liquid or paste food coloring
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Stir in food coloring. Lightly spread over cooled cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 152 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC