Glazed Blackberry Pie
I use the first ripe berries of the season to make this fruity pie.—Monica Gross, Downey, California
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 5 cups fresh blackberries, divided
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 cup water, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Red food coloring, optional
- Whipped topping
- Place 2 cups blackberries in pastry shell; set aside. In a saucepan,
- crush 1 cup berries. Add 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium
- heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Press
- berries through a sieve. Set juice aside and discard pulp.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in remaining
- water and reserved juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in
- food coloring if desired. Pour half of the glaze over berries in
- pastry shell. Stir remaining berries into remaining glaze; carefully
- spoon over filling.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Garnish with whipped topping.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 251 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium,