Glazed Apple Streusel Muffins
I was looking for something warm to make for my daughter before school on a rainy morning. So I jazzed up a boxed muffin mix with a chopped apple, walnuts, brown sugar and a fast-to-fix vanilla glaze. The tasty results really hit the spot.
-Elizabeth Calabrese, Yucaipa, California
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) apple cinnamon muffin mix
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Prepare muffin mix according to package directions; fold in apple.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. In a small bowl,
- combine the walnuts, brown sugar, flour and butter; sprinkle over
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough
- milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over warm muffins.
- Serve warm. Yield: 6 muffins.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Betty Crocker apple cinnamon muffin mix.