- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 9 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 10 medium)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a measuring cup, combine egg yolk and enough milk to measure 1/3 cup. Gradually add to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough in half. Roll one portion into a thin 15x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Spoon over crust.
- Roll remaining dough into a thin 15x10-in. rectangle; place over apple filling. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm pastry. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Glazed Apple Pie Squares
Sort By :
"I made these into small individual turnovers, much easier. Love the taste."
"I made this the other Day as I had Guests...it was a huge hit, I used Raw sugar rather that regular sugar and it was oh so delicious!"
"I have made these several times now. The first time I did them exactly as written with one exception - I used a 9X13 pan. My husband and I loved them. I have since made them with less sugar and still they are very, very good."
"I searched many recipes and picked this one. I'm glad I did!! I used fresh picked apples. I omitted the cornflakes, used the extra flour. It was sweet, rich flavored and held up very nicely as a bar. It got rave reviews and was gone quickly. Crust was tender and flakey!!! WOW"