Glazed Apple Pie Bars Recipe
This is only one of many wonderful recipes that my mother handed down to me. With their flaky crust and scrumptious fruit filling, these delicious bars are the perfect way to serve apple pie to a crowd.—Janet English, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 to 10 tablespoons cold water
- 7 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 2. Roll out one portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Press pastry onto bottom and up sides of pan; trim even with top edge.
- 3. In a large bowl, toss the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; spread into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pan; place over filling. Brush edges with water or milk; pinch to seal. Cut slits in top.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over bars. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 267 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC