Glazed Apple Cookies Recipe
I've had this recipe since my first child was little...now it's a favorite of my grandchildren! I like to use Jonathan apples in the recipe, but you can use the apple of your choice.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup apple juice or milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- VANILLA GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine shortening, sugar, baking soda, spices and egg. Stir in apples, nuts, raisins, juice or milk and half of the flour; mix well. Blend in the remaining flour. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes. Combine glaze ingredients and frost cookies while warm. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 292 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC