A mild, creamy sauce with hints of cilantro and lime balances the cayenne kick in these hearty skewers. Serve with extra napkins to help little gladiators keep their party clothes clean. —Susan Seymour, Valatie, New York
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Thread chicken onto six metal or soaked wooden skewers. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, chili powder, salt, pepper and cayenne. Coat chicken with crumb mixture. In a large skillet, brown chicken in batches in butter. Place skewers on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice if desired and salt. Serve with chicken skewers. Yield: 6 skewers (1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Gladiator Chicken Skewers in Simple & Delicious February/March 2012, p59
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Gladiator Chicken Skewers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2013
"We had this tonight and it was very tasty. The sauce really compliments the spices on the chicken. This is a great snack for sports nights."