A friend shared this authentic recipe with me years ago. I think you'll enjoy the extra spice from the addition of gingersnaps. It wonderfully captures the flavor of sauerbraten.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add ketchup; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10 serving (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Gingersnap Goulash in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p27
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Gingersnap Goulash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2012
"This is very close to the sauerbraten recipe that my German grandmother made. Ginger snaps really make the best gravy. Try this, you'll like it."