- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add ketchup; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10 serving (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Gingersnap Goulash in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p27
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Gingersnap Goulash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2012
"This is very close to the sauerbraten recipe that my German grandmother made. Ginger snaps really make the best gravy. Try this, you'll like it."