- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add ketchup; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10 serving (2-1/2 quarts).
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Gingersnap Goulash
Sort By :
This is very close to the sauerbraten recipe that my German grandmother made. Ginger snaps really make the best gravy. Try this, you'll like it.