This is a flavorful dish made with meaty short ribs, cabbage, carrots and scallions. It makes a complete meal that is robust and rich.—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Featured In: 68 Slow Cooker Recipes to Warm Your Winter
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and halved widthwise
- 2 large carrots, halved widthwise
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small head cabbage, quartered
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- Place the ribs, parsnips and carrots in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper flakes; pour over ribs. Top with cabbage. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in sesame oil. Serve with meat and vegetables. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve with couscous if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Gingered Short Ribs in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p15
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Gingered Short Ribs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review