Gingered Short Ribs with Green Rice Recipe
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup sherry or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups uncooked Minute® Brown Rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients until blended. Place carrots and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper; place over vegetables. Pour broth mixture over top.
- 2. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Just before serving, prepare rice according to package directions. Stir in green onions, cilantro, jalapenos and lime peel.
- 4. Remove ribs to a serving plate; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs and rice. Yield: 6 servings.
6 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup sauce and 2/3 cup rice equals 444 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 714 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.