Gingered Short Ribs with Green Rice Recipe
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup sherry or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the carrots, onions and ribs; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the broth, sherry, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger and garlic. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Stir in the green onions, cilantro, jalapenos and lime peel.
- Remove ribs to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs and rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Gingered Short Ribs with Green Rice(6)
Sort By :
Awesome..My son gave it a 9 and my husband and I gave it 10s. Incredible. I did make one subsitution. I did not have any honey so I used maple syrup (something my grandmother did when she didn't have honey) Nobody noticed
The rice was excellent and smelled great. The meat was good but I felt it either had too much of something or not enough; I couldn't put my finger on it.
pinkpotatoes ~ I hope you get this! I don't do beef short ribs for that very reason. I'm here just for the rice and seasonings part of the recipe. I intend to use Country Style Boneless Pork Ribs.
Good Luck ~ Kitzer
I am actually not reviewing this but it looks and sounds fabulous. What I really would like to know is, where did you find short ribs with so much meat on them? The only ones I see here are so much bone and fat that we hardly get any meat!
This was AMAZING! You could easily make this with a pot roast as well. Next time I will add a little more ginger but other than that wont stray from the recipe. The green rice was a perfect compliment!
More Recipe Collections
- Asian Dinners >
- Asian Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Ribs >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >