Gingered Pumpkin Custard Recipe
These rich and creamy custards created by our Taste of Home Test Kitchen are the perfect ending to any holiday menu. Grilled and served in a pumpkin shell, they’re sure to impress your guests.
- 6 small pie pumpkins (4- to 6-inch diameter)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-3/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- Prepare grill for indirect heat. Wash pumpkins; cut a 2-in. circle around each stem. Remove tops; scoop out seeds and loose fibers (save seeds for another use if desired). Set pumpkins and tops aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves and cream until smooth. Add pumpkin, brown sugar and orange juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until bubbly. Stir in orange peel.
- Fill pumpkins with hot filling to within 3/4 in. of top. Grill pumpkins, covered, over indirect medium-hot heat for 30 minutes.
- For topping, combine the flour, sugar and pecans in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Grill 30 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in filling reads 160°.
- If desired, grill pumpkin tops over indirect heat during the last 30 minutes of grilling. Remove pumpkins and tops from grill; cool for 10 minutes before serving. Place tops on pumpkins if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Gingered Pumpkin Custard in Backyard Living September/October 2006, p40
Reviews for Gingered Pumpkin Custard(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review