Gingered Pumpkin Bisque Recipe
Every spoonful of this pretty pumpkin soup hints of autumn. Serve it as the first course at your special, sit-down dinners. —Patricia Kile, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional heavy whipping cream, optional
- Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute the shallots, onion and ginger in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in broth and cider. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Stir in the pumpkin, syrup and seasonings. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in cream and vanilla; heat through (do not boil). If desired, drizzle individual servings with additional cream and garnish with thyme sprigs. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup (calculated without additional cream) equals 229 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 463 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Gingered Pumpkin Bisque
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC