- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional heavy whipping cream, optional
- Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute the shallots, onion and ginger in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in broth and cider. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the pumpkin, syrup and seasonings. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in cream and vanilla; heat through (do not boil). If desired, drizzle individual servings with additional cream and garnish with thyme sprigs. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Gingered Pumpkin Bisque
"If I could give this more stars. I would. I decided to try it tonight after pureeing pumpkins from our garden and my family is so glad I did! The soup is very easy to make and the flavor-divine!"
"Really fabulous, a nice mellow yet flavorful taste. Today I added a dollop of sour cream and that did it for me. As dh said just a tiny zing I think from the fresh ginger? A keeper for sure!"
"I made this soup for my son who was going to a Thanksgiving pot-luck last year. It was so delicious that I wanted to keep it for myself. Unfortunately, for me, there were no leftovers. :("
"This is really, really good. Have also made with butternut squash cubes instead of pumpkin. If you make w/ squash increase simmer time to 20 min or bake cubes in oven 20 min @ 350 degrees. The remaining of this recipe is the same."
"This was the best pumpkin soup I've ever tasted! I get requests to make it all the time and it is so easy to make too. Definately a keeper!"
"My husband who hates ginger and maple syrup LOVED it. My friend who hates pumpkin, LOVED it. My 4 year old who hates everything, at every drop!! It was delicious to say the least!"
"Lovely-- the styling is right on!!!"
"Stunning combination of flavors!!!!!"