Gingered Peas and Water Chestnuts Recipe
Frozen peas star in Gingered Peas and Water Chestnuts, which is suggested by reader Joan Solberg (below) of Ashland. "My friend started making this as a special treat for Christmas because it has such a nice combination of flavors and textures," Joan shares. "It's one of my favorite dishes, so I serve it at home and for potlucks all year-round."
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen peas
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 1 jar (4 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- 5 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Set aside 1/4 cup broth. In a large saucepan, combine the vegetables, butter, seasonings and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; stir into pea mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Gingered Peas and Water Chestnuts in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p45
Reviews for Gingered Peas and Water Chestnuts(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review