- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 small lemons, thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1/3 cup minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 20 large pears (about 6 pounds), peeled and chopped
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until mixture becomes syrupy.
- Stir in pears. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-3/4 hours or until fruit is tender and mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 pints.
Originally published as Gingered Pear & Currant Chutney in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p67
Reviews for Gingered Pear & Currant Chutney
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review