My husband was pleasantly surprised when he tried my new twist on beets. The orange and ginger are a surprising compliment, making this particular vegetable a wonderful addition to any holiday table. —Marion Tipton, Phoenix, Arizona
Recommended: 33 Bright Winter Salads
- 1-1/2 pounds whole fresh beets (about 4 medium), trimmed and cleaned
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1/3 cup pecan halves, toasted
- Brush beets with 4 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap loosely in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 70-75 minutes or until fork-tender. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, orange juice concentrate, 1 teaspoon orange peel, ginger and remaining oil; set aside.
- Peel beets and cut into wedges; place in a serving bowl. Add the orange sections and pecans. Drizzle with orange sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining orange peel. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Gingered Orange Beets in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p42
Reviews for Gingered Orange Beets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 20, 2016
"Great recipe to use beets, something I have not prepared often. I love the flavor, and the pecans add a tasty crunchy texture."