Gingered Molasses Cookies
A nice blend of spices and grated orange peel makes these a little different than your basic molasses cookies. My son loved these when he was growing up.
33 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and 1 cup sugar until
- light and fluffy. Beat in egg, molasses and orange peel. Combine the
- dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-1/4-in. balls, then in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart
- on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or
- until edges are firm and surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to
- cool. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 104 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium,