- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, molasses and orange peel. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-1/4-in. balls, then in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm and surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Gingered Molasses Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p62
Reviews for Gingered Molasses Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 5, 2014
"I wanted to try a different type of cookie, and chose this one. I did the recipe exactly as written and they turned out great. The spices were just right. A very delicious cookie."