Gingered Ham and Barley Roll-ups Recipe
The National Barley Foods Council suggests these roll-ups make a tasty dish for a company-pleasing brunch.National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 medium orange
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 thin slices deli ham
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- In a large saucepan, combine broth, orange juice and barley. Grate orange to make 1 teaspoon zest; add to the barley mixture with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender. Peel orange; discard peel and chop the orange. Saute orange and onions in butter until tender. Add to the barley mixture. Spoon 1/4 cup of filling onto each ham slice. Roll up and place, seam side down, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon remaining barley mixture around rolls. Mix marmalade and ginger; spoon over the rolls. Sprinkle with the pecans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Gingered Ham and Barley Roll-ups in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p19
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Gingered Ham and Barley Roll-ups(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review