Gingered Cranberry Chutney Recipe
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds fresh pears, peeled and diced
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, cayenne and salt. Bring to a boil. Add pears. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until pears are tender.
- 2. Strain, reserving liquid. Return liquid to pan; set pears aside. Stir cranberries into pan. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Strain berries, reserving liquid. Return liquid to pan; set berries aside. Bring liquid to a boil; cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in pears, cranberries and cinnamon. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 cups.
1/4 cup: 129 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.
Reviews for Gingered Cranberry Chutney
"I've been making this since it was first published. Skeptical at first because of the cayenne, but it is very subtle and most people don't even recognize it, just the tiniest tingle. Even the kids like it."