Gingered Carrots & Parsnips
“Ginger adds a marvelous taste to these root vegetables." The flavorful side will be a hit on any buffet table. Marie Rizzio - Interlochen, Michigan
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons Diamond of California Chopped Pecans, toasted
- Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add parsnips. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in carrots;
- cover and simmer 6-8 minutes longer or until vegetables are
- crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, combine the honey, butter, ginger and salt. Stir in
- vegetables; heat through. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 173 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.