Gingered Butternut Squash Recipe
I found this recipe in a magazine years ago and thought it was the best squash dish I’d ever tasted. When I serve it to guests, they always agree. –Fran Swartzentruber of Sebring, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1. Place squash in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat squash with butter and syrup. Beat in the ginger, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Gradually add cream until blended. Transfer to a serving bowl; serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 180 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC