- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place squash in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, beat squash with butter and syrup. Beat in the ginger, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Gradually add cream until blended. Transfer to a serving bowl; serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Gingered Butternut Squash
"Needed more flavor, added brown sugar but it didn't help much."
"We loved this dish!"
"If I make these again I would make sure to hand mash them instead of using a beater. With the beater, it became more of a soup then being mashed squash. It still tasted good and soup is a nice change now and again so I guess it depends on how you want to do it."