Gingered Beef and Red Peppers Stir Fry Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound), cut into thin strips
- 1 jar (8 ounces) whole baby corn, drained
- 1/4 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 pound fresh sugar snap peas
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water, soy sauce and 1 teaspoon oil until smooth; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 2. Add the corn, red pepper, ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add peas; stir-fry 30 seconds longer. Stir soy sauce mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup beef mixture with 3/4 cup rice equals 377 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 618 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.