Gingered Beef and Asparagus Stir-Fry Recipe
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot or dash ground ginger
- 1/2 pound beef flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sherry and ginger; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, broth, hoisin sauce, sugar and remaining soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- 3. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and set aside. Stir-fry asparagus in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 4. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to the pan; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups stir-fry with 3/4 cup rice: 347 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Gingered Beef and Asparagus Stir-Fry
"My husband loved it! His only request is more sauce to drizzle on the rice."
"I changed the soy sauce to 4 tbsp., the ginger to 1 tsp., hoisin sauce to 2 tsp., garlic to 2 cloves. I like it as it turned out but next time will adjust to 1 tbsp. minced ginger, 3 cloves of garlic, hoisin sauce to 3 tsp. I also may add Sriracha chili sauce to the cornstarch mixture."
"My husband didnt like the flavor of the hoisin sauce but I love this. I would make it again but maybe use a little less of the hoisin sauce and see if it's ok with him like that."
"I make this recipe at least once a month. My husband loves it!"